Jan 26, 2011

My Questions...

 I read this article on CNN's website, it was talking about 20 questions that women should ask themselves to stimulate thinking and growth.. Some of them were dumb, some were beyond hysterical ("My mind is a two-bit whore.." LOL), and a few were actually thoughtful. So, while you can read the article here if you would like to, I have created a quasi-new list of my own using some of the questions posed in the article and some of my own.. Thoughts or answers?

**The "quotation" marks are so you know what I stole...

"Where am I wrong?"
I do not know about you, but I hate being wrong... And, lets be honest, no one holds to an opinion they do not feel is correct. But, how many times a day am I wrong.. just straight up, slap me in the face wrong.. and I will not take 2 seconds to reevaluate if I am in fact anywhere in the vicinity of correct?.. Shameful.


"What's so funny?"
"Adults tend to put this question to children in a homicidal-sounding snarl, which is probably why as you grew up, your laughter rate dropped from 400 times a day (for toddlers) to the grown-up daily average of 15. Regain your youth by laughing at every possible situation. Then, please, tell us what's funny -- about everyday life, about human nature, even about pain and fear." - I had to include this actual quote from the article because I love laughing.. about most anything, but so many times I forget to laugh... It can be healing and the more I laugh at myself often the better I feel.

"How can I keep myself absolutely safe?"
"Ask this question just to remind yourself of the answer: You can't. Life is inherently uncertain. The way to cope with that reality is not to control and avoid your way into a rigid little demi-life, but to develop courage. Doing what you long to do, despite fear, will accomplish this." - Besides, what is so wonderful about staying safe all the time? It is a false sense anyway. Aka it is a lie we tell ourselves. So, why not embrace the lack of control.. and learn to dance in the uncertainty knowing that ultimately the good guys win, and Jesus not only Loves me, but wants me to unabashedly follow Him... Then He will REALLY open my eyes to new things... Just sayin...


Now what?
Sometimes, I cannot help but feel like I have attained all the good or great things in life.. And, now what? What is left to accomplish, see, attain, move, create etc... But, the reality is this is a HORRIBLE place to linger because it lends itself to laziness, apathy, carelessness, hurt, pain etc.. None of which are pleasant or praiseworthy things. So, Now what?... There is inevitably the one answer in the far recesses of my mind that knows, but that I am not necessarily willing to let loose in my mind or life. Too bad that is often where Jesus starts to clean house again.. Dang it!

Attitude is a choice.. What am I choosing?
"Your situation may endanger your life and limbs, but only your thoughts can endanger your happiness. Telling yourself a miserable mental story about your circumstances creates suffering. Telling yourself a more positive and grateful story, studies show, increases happiness. Wherever you are, whatever you're doing, choose thoughts that knit your heart together, rather than tear it apart." - I sing this mantra a lot.. But, really.. it might be the only thing I can truly choose. I mean look at Job in the Bible, he really had it "bad" and yet he chose his attitude well... I love the idea that God can honor and bless me because I choose a better perspective. Feelings do not always lead us in the right direction.

How do I change the world by being in it?
I have always wanted to change the world.. and I definitely have a fun bucket list... My goal is to be the old woman (if I live to be old) that has a ridiculous number of stories of places I have been, things I have done, the lives and circumstances that have changed my life and those around me, and all the times and places God has answered my prayers and proved to be faithful yet again. I am excited for that.. I want to change the world!


So, there are a few questions.. I plan on adding to them..

No comments: