Dec 30, 2009

The Year I Was 24...

Wow.. 2009 is almost over. What?!.. I cannot believe this year has absolutely FLOWN by! I am pretty sure I say this every New Years, but seriously... Where did the year go?

So, plans for this New Years Eve... Time Square, NYC. It is not really that I have this overwhelming desire to stand in one place for 8+ hours, surrounded by thousands of people who are probably wasted... Or that I especially like the idea of standing in the rain the entire time as a cherry on top... But, I want to say I have done it at least once... And, the people I am going with will ensure it is a BLAST. So.. Off to NYC we go :) I am really excited!

Ok, onto the review. Be prepared for a pretty large array of things to be covered :)

I started out the year with almost black hair, and in the course of 2009 I went to orange, blonde, light brown, light brown with dark brown highlights, and red hair.

I have traveled 40,000 miles in my car. Including going to Charlotte, NC 3 times, Washington, DC 4 times, Ft. Jackson, SC once, Louisville, KY once, Atlanta once, Orlando/Ft. Lauderdale once, and Home 3 times. I also flew out to AZ to see one of my other best friends and a couple other friends.

I went to Cincinnati and Myrtle Beach over the summer with my Work.. and while it was tiring.. LOVED it.

I have had visitors from home, my dad, my brother, roomie, best friend, another best friend and his wife, and of course my ENTIRE immediate family, plus a girlfriend for Thanksgiving.

I moved again in the same city... Now I live in a house with two girls and a dog and love it.

I had a stalker, and went to the police 3 times.

I took up dancing and LOVE it. I now can Salsa, Merenge, Cha Cha, Bachata, Cumbia, and Tango (some).

I hiked 3 mountains, including one in the middle of the night.

Ran my first 5k. "The Marine Corps. Mud Run" had a blast, and it introduced my best friend and I to a group of people that I (we) cherish very much now.

I made dozens of friends, and several friends who will be in my life until we are no longer here. :)

I gained dozens upon dozens of inside jokes and things that make me laugh or smile just thinking of them.

I made the splash page of Liberty University for their new SnowFlex Complex.. And, all their promotional material. Totally unaware that was what the photo-shoot was for! lol

Began running before work with one of my best friends, but, when it got too cold we switched to after work and got a YMCA membership and now work out 4 days a week.

I have lost 8lbs... which does not seem like a big deal, but since I had been 175 since I was 17... that's a long time to stay the same weight.

Survived my first year at my job, and began round two... Feeling oh so much more prepared then the first time around :)

Went to several weddings, and had to miss several more.

Gained a new uncle and 3 new cousins... but missed the wedding cause of work.

My little brother graduated high school... (whoa!) AND, he got a girlfriend he's been with all year :)

I happily stayed single and did not go on any dates all year.

I read several books, but wished I had time to read more...

Joined the leadership team for my Sunday School class. Planned and executed LOTS of parties for our group.

Then of course there are all the things God and I worked on and did... There is no possible way to name them all, but it is pretty safe to say that I have really learned a lot this year about trust, faith, unconditional love, patience, sacrifice, obedience, vulnerability, submission, support, consistency, prayer, and Truth. It has proven to be an interesting year with LOTS and LOTS of things God wanted me to learn and re-learn. There were months that were so absolutely amazing I began to wonder why, and if it meant really tough times were coming. Other times I felt like I was being crushed under the weight of the things I had to learn. I look back at everything and it was a really great year. Rough, wonderful, full of LOTS of laughter, and even tears...

The thing that excites me the most is I can see growth in all areas of my life. I can see how I am so very different now then I was last Christmas. I can actually see the patience and unconditional love having matured in new ways in my mind and heart. My understanding (while not perfect or completely fulfilled) has definitely grown. My contentment with where God has me is such a wonderful blessing to my heart, especially in the guys arena.

I actually FEEL like a different person then I did last year. Much more settled in who I am, who I was created to be, much more at peace with things I cannot control, and a whole lot more confident in who I am.

The year I was 24 was a great year, I am so very thankful and excited about 2010! :)

No comments: