May 10, 2012

Revising Life Goals...

I have a fairly extensive "bucket list" that I have been compiling for a few years now... However, I am completely revising the list to organize it differently and add more to it. In Mark Batterson's book  The Circle Maker he shares a list that is impressive to say the least, but is also incredibly inspiring. He has his list broken down into different categories, such as his experience goals, goals he wants to share with others, giving goals etc.. And, the more I have been thinking about it, the more I realized that so many of my goals are awesome, and I intend on keeping them, but I like his way of organizing them better. I like the idea of separating out the different goals based on areas of my life, which then actually has created more space and creativity for my goals.

So, while I am not done revising my current "before I die" list... I do think I have an idea of categories I want to use to separate them out into... (and likely add more things to each list) Experiences, giving, traveling, and personal..

This list is not complete, they are not in any particular order, and I have crossed through the ones I have already accomplished, but I am fairly confident these have more added to them later, but I think this is a good place to start:

Experiences:
Watch either the sunset or sunrise from each side of every ocean: Pacific, Atlantic, Indian, Arctic, Southern
Have a croissant at a French cafe 
Go wine tasting at a vineyard in Italy 
Ride an elephant
Go dog sledding
Go on a Safari in Africa
Scuba dive
Ride a camel in the desert
See the Pyramids at sunset 
Drink whiskey at a pub in Ireland
Go on a multi-day biking trip
Tube down a river
Visit ancient ruins
Stand on the Great Wall of China
Learn to roll in a kayak
Learn to snowboard, and ski
Learn to wakeboard and water ski
Drive a sports car over 100mph
Stand inside the Taj Mahal
Ride through the Panama Canal
Go Sky diving
Horseback ride through a coffee plantation
Go to the Kentucky Derby
Go white water rafting
Live in a house with a window seat and wrap around porch
Tango in a milonga 
Go parasailing 
Go paragliding
S
wim with bioluminescent plankton in Puerto Rico
Climb a volcano
Climb a glacier
Go rock climbing
Watch the sunrise or sunset over the Grand Canyon
Watch the Northern Lights 

See a shooting star 
Ring a church bell
Move somewhere new alone
Go on a cruise
Participate in a giant food fight
Climb a mountain
Ride a helicopter
Choose fifty favorite places to relax and connect with God
Attend the enitre summer Olympics  
Zip line through a canopy  
Drink lemonade on the front porch swing on warm summer night  
Have a big wedding celebration with everyone I love
Christen a boat
Be in Spain for running of the Bulls (but not participate)
See a glacier in Antarctica 
Learn to surf 
Learn to paddleboard  
Dive with Manta Rays in Hawaii  
Spend a night in a treehouse 
Swim with a whale  
See and/or climb Mt. Kilomanjaro and Mt. Everest
Snorkel the great barrier reef in Australia
Ride a gondola in Venice

Travel:
Set foot on all seven continents 
Set foot in all fifty states
Cross the Canadian border
See Cuba 

Straddle the equator on two continents
Take a road trip across the U.S.
Have an exceptional time in Greece
Attend Loy Krathong, the sky lantern festival in Thailand  
Take a month long vacation without computers    
Attend La Tomatina in Spain 
Live in another country for a year 
Go to Fiji  
Spend a summer touring Europe
Go to Hawaii with my family
Go to South America with my sister

Personal:
Make butterscotch from scratch (I have a recipe.. now I just need to get all the ingredients and do it!)
Build a house from start to finish
Get art in a gallery 
Attend a Black and White Ball
Grow vegetables in my own garden 
Be a published artist
Write a book or novel
Be conversational in five languages: 1. English 2. Spanish (this one comes and goes) 3. Sign-Language 4. Greek 5. German

Get my second degree black belt
Get a tattoo (I have two)
Do two pull ups
Go berry picking and make completely homemade pies
Own a very large dog 
Make my own perfume 
Organize a retreat
Learn all the Latin ballroom dances: Argentine Tango, Salsa, Cumbia, Merengue, Cha cha, Bachata, Rumba, Mambo, Bolero, Samba 

Start and run my own business
Form a workplace with people I love
Make my own list of the hundred best things to eat 
Go a day without speaking 
Plant a tiny orchard 
Run a 10k
Throw a block party
Shoot every major gun: Pistol, Shotgun, Rifle, Muzzleloader, Revolver
Start a fire without a match
Run a half marathon
Blog consistently for 10 years
Finish and publish "Facts of Life" 
Own a Beach house with friends

Giving/Finances:
Help someone get through college
Do something for someone they can never repay
Tithe my whole life
Start a non-profit or help run one
Buy stock on my own
Get in the habit of grand loving gestures 
Be debt free by 35
Use my work to improve lives
Remove money as a concern from my life
Gift 1 million dollars to missions (not tithing)
Help my family become debt free
Give people in ministry free vacations at the beach house

A lot of these actually go in a couple categories, but are best "housed" in the particular category they are in. And, as always, this is ever changing.. or rather, ever growing. I feel much better about this list now that it is separated out into categories instead of just a solid list... Many thanks to Mark Batterson and his book The Circle Maker for the inspiration to do it this way!

3 comments:

Vera said...

You have plenty of time left to do those things, Krista ... Christian did Sky Diving two years ago for his 77th birthday ;-)
Good luck! ♥

Our family is a little more than a Patrick sandwich. said...

I love this :)

Jess and Jason said...

1. I am absolutely STOKED you want to publish Facts of Life. Consider me your first customer!!!! I totally want to buy it NOW.
2. You can totally be debt free by 35 - in fact, I bet you can do it sooner! If you haven't yet, I highly recommend the Total Money Makeover by Dave Ramsey. It's just really motivational. Let me know if I can help in any way, advice wise!!!!! :)