Jul 20, 2010

Not Good Alone...

One of my best friends gave me a book not long ago, it's I, Isaac, take thee Rebekah by Ravi Zacharias. I am only a few chapters into it, but I found a couple thoughts that really have intrigued me and got my mind thinking and mulling (which I tend to enjoy).

First, he spends a little bit of time pointing out that we so often have this view of emotions as a profoundly woman thing, and that is a weakness... and then he points out the fact that it really has more to do with the fact that woman are aware of the emotional ramifications of actions and things. Which, that caused me to pause a bit and really think about how often I try to squash a reaction because I know it originates out of emotions instead of logic. One of the quotes he says is "A man's charm is in his strength, a woman's strength is in her charm." How true that is, even when we do not try to force it to be this way.

One of the more profound things that Ravi points out is when God says in Genesis 2:18 that it is not good for man to be alone.. (We all know God said this), but Ravi pointed out that we forget a couple key factors here... God did not say this because there was already a divide between God and Adam.. in fact, they walked and talked and had as close of a relationship as anyone has ever known with God, but God realized that Adam "needed" something that was purely a human thing, and could only be filled by another human. "Something" had to be fulfilled in a way that only a human could do it, and God intended it to be that way. Ravi also points out that God did not merely create another man for companionship, he created a woman to be complementingly different. To portray a new and different side of Himself. We were never meant to be the same, nor were we meant to be better or worse than one another, we were designed specifically to fulfill and portray a unique side of our Creator. Sweet!

I think it's an interesting idea that God was making His creation in a way to fulfill needs for each other in a way that only we can, in order to glorify Himself even more. Which that alone is a pretty mind blowing   thought process I have never heard this before. I have always heard the "God is all I need" perspective... But, if that is true, why would God say that it was not good for man to be alone?

So, while God created every single detail to glorify Himself, and to show how magnificent He truly is... He also created us to want and need the dynamics of a guy/girl relationship. As odd as it sounds, that's a comforting thought... Just thought I'd share :)

No comments: