Apr 29, 2009

To: Krista, Love: Jesus...

So, sometimes I think God just does things for us to serve as our pretty little gift wrapped present especially to us from Him... haha

Here's the story.. I was in a situation I was not totally comfortable with, but partially because it could have been fine, or terrible, or indifferent.. There were a lot of variables and I did not know where it was going. Mostly though, I was uncomfortable with it because I could not find anything especially glorifying.. or to be honest, I could not find anything that gave a legitimate reason for the situation at all... and at the same time, I also had no way out of the situation without seriously offending people... SO, in an attempt to find my happy medium, I did what any self respecting, assertive, confident girl does.. I begged God for His help and guidance as I hatched my plan in my mind for how to make sure the situation stayed in the appropriate comfort zone. haha.. God must've giggled at me and my plans...

So, mid story God gave me this wonderful little gift I was totally not expecting, and was later so excited about it that I could barely contain my excitement!..

I was doing laps in the pool to work off calories that I'd consumed and was probably going to consume later that evening... The other girls I was with were half heartedly swimming, but I was on a mission to work off the calories (and warm up cause the water was less than ideal).. A guy comes over and extends an invitation for us to join "them" in the hottub, (them being three other guys and a girl). I gave some "oh, ok well we're mid laps but maybe, thanks so much though!"... essentially my answer without actually answering him type response. After about 2 more laps I realized the other girls had gone to the jacuzzi.. dang it, that meant I had to at least make an appearance. So, I popped over and sat there awkwardly for about .0237 seconds before I decided I was gonna have to take some initiative or this would be a not so wonderful time...

I went around and asked them their names, where they are from, are they in school, etc..etc.. total basics in meeting new people 101. It became very apparent about this point that they were drinking and smoking.. or some of them were drinking and some of them were smoking, not all of them were doing all of it... but each of them was partaking in some form of something.

*Pause Story*
Let me clarify... these types of situations don't make me nervous so much as more alert. I'm not nervous around alcohol and smoking, but I become much more aware of the ability for it to go south quicker... so, I tend to make a much more asserted effort to "be on my game." *Un-pause*

One of the guys suggests playing Chicken... hmm yeah not on my agenda of things to do with guys I don't know.. So, I basically ignore the suggestion and continued with basic conversation and began using my charm to allow me to say whatever needed to be said... For example, one guy said he was graduated from highschool and unsure of going to college cause he hated school.. so I pointed out that ANY college degree typically means you get paid TWICE as much as you would otherwise "just sayin".. and that it's legit instead of "off the street" which he said he could make a ton of money there... The girl was going for business, and intends on opening a strip joint because "men are dogs even in a terrible economy..." That comment made my heart hurt both for her and her obvious past, and for the men who it's a true statement for...

I peaced out and cooled off in the pool, did a few more laps then went back. Once I'd returned Guy A (Bob for the sake of the story)was asked if I was engaged....
"uh, nope, why?"
"because you're wearing a ring..."
"oh, haha, yeah the ring actually says 'Jesus,' it's my purity ring."
You would have thought I'd shot all of them in the face... It was like I put a halt on the entire conversation and crickets started chirping.. lol
Guy B (Billy), "So, you're a Christian then?"
"uh, yeah I am actually..."
Bob then began asking me if I'd attended this certain church and I explained that I had only been there a day and had no idea where the church was.. so he told me about how he really liked the pastor and the guy just says it like it is and is straight forward.. So, I explained how much I respect that because even if you disagree.. if you TRULY believed something wouldn't it be worth telling others anyway?...
Billy began telling me how religious his mom is and how she tries shoving that on him... I told him I was sorry, and that is never pleasant when people hit you over the head with things instead of love you regardless... Slowly the conversation began to flow again... And then Guy C (Sam) said "ok, so wait... How long have you been wearing that thing?" "8 years." Which brought a whole slew of profanity and crude comments from him and again sorta halted the conversation... But, I took no offense cause clearly this was a new concept, so I just laughed and shrugged my shoulders and Bob and I began talking about other things... only for Billy to interrupt a few minutes later and say "ok, I gotta know.. what does 'purity' mean to you?"

Haha.. oookay *pause* at this particular moment I realized this was a make it or break it conversation from here on out.. I can either somehow finagle my way around the topic and answer without actually answering.. Which would be a greatly missed spoon fed to me opportunity... OR, I can be straight up front, and hopefully paint some color in their picture at the expense of some seriously awkward vulnerability on my part. I chose option 2. *un-pause*

"Well, it means that I'm still a virgin."
The stares I got were priceless, and it was more than slightly amusing to watch the registration on their faces as what I said sunk in. It was as though Billy had never even heard of the idea and he continued with "How come?" So, I explained how I think it will just be really neat and special if I can tell my husband (who I clearly don't have yet) he was and is the only one I've ever slept with... Sam jumps in with "I just COULDN'T do it!!!!" lol Again, crickets chirping... and finally Billy comes back and says "ok, I can respect that." And conversation moved on.

The end.. I had been gifted by God the chance to have a conversation glorifying to him in the middle of a situation where I was already questioning the glorifying aspects of the whole evening.

My God is so good. :)

To: Krista
Love: Jesus

2 comments:

Becky said...

I am always so encouraged by your posts and we do have a good God :) It's really neat that you could share with them and I think its sweet that they kept asking questions..you definitely were planting seeds.

Andrew said...

Here I thought I was the only one. I don't wear a purity ring because I don't like to boast about things so personal. I don't even ask anymore, I just assumed I was the last one left.