Feb 29, 2012

American Idol Contestant New Music...

Ever wonder what some of the American Idol contestants do after American Idol?..

Kurtis Parks made it to the semi-finals on season 4 of the show (in 2004, and the year Carrie Underwood won), and he also wrote a number one song Forever Changed after the Virginia Tech shootings several years back... Since then, he has written hundreds of songs, and is part of a new group, Kurtis Parks and The Anthem, and they are releasing their first self-titled EP March 30th. This is actually his 10th album, which is just crazy to me since he's just a few years older.. That equates to a LOT of song writing and album producing!

I got the chance to get a sneak peak listen (sometimes it pays to have connections!) of his band's new self titled EP; and, by sneak peak, I mean I pretty much had to protect it with my life (kidding... sorta haha), but, I am allowed to share what I think about it, and it is great, I definitely recommend getting it! The sound is a really solid blend of good music and engaging vocals. The style of music is perfect for fun and easy listening while you get things done around the house or while running errands... but, then the lyrics pull you in and cause you to really pay attention and engage in the music... Needless to say, I am a huge fan and have several favorite songs already... Once the EP is released and I can actually give up more information on my thoughts of each song, I definitely will.

Until then, thankfully, I got the ok to share the new single City of Lights... Which, Kurtis also let me in on the fact that he and The Anthem are letting their first single off the new EP be downloaded for free tomorrow! (whoop whoop)

Head over to www.kurtisparks.com to download it for free (tomorrow March 1st)!... If you are anything like me, be sure to listen to it several times in order to let the full dynamic of the song register, it is pretty sweet!

Also, if you are in the DC area, the CD release show is happening on March 30th, 7:30pm at Barracks Row Theater in Washington DC. They are doing a benefit concert for Champions in Action, an organization that works with high risk and at risk street youth in Guatemala City (and most of you know Guatemala stole my heart years ago, as does working with teens...). The show is a $10 cover, $8 in advance, and the first 100 people in the door get a free pair of 80's themed sunglasses!

Hope to see you March 30th, 7:30pm, at Barracks Row Theater!
Pre-order your tickets here 


No comments: