Dec 12, 2012

So Over It...

I am so over school.

Seriously, I am having the worst time motivating myself to do my homework... as in currently I have a paper to write, and instead I am blogging. Awesome.

I recognize that a large part of my aversion to school is that I have 1 week left of this class and 2 classes left until I have completed my double masters! (woohoo!!) -- Which, I keep explaining to people sounds way more impressive than it actually is.

I also realize that part of my struggle with motivation is that I have been putting in a crazy number of hours at work the last few weeks, so homework just feels like added stress and like it is taking time that I would rather be putting into work... Which I guess is a good thing that despite the number of hours, I still would rather put my time into work.

On a slightly different note.. I when I took this job I was told that my work would cover me getting a Masters of Divinity.. I sorta freaked out when I was presented with this.. I mean SERIOUSLY... Who needs THREE masters degrees?!... No. One. I informed them I would not really think about it until I had completed these two degrees in May. However, I have been letting the idea ruminate in my head, and turning over all of the possible outcomes of getting an M. Div. or not.

I have narrowed it down to two basic ideas:
  • If I am going to pursue a life of ministry (which I obviously love) then an M. Div. makes complete and perfect sense.
  • However, if I am not planning on or even thinking I am going to pursue a career in ministry, it would make little to no sense to pursue another masters degree, let alone one in divinity.
These might seem like "duh" conclusions.. but, it gives me a pretty clear direction to pray... And, if I am being totally honest, I am not really sure I could pull off getting an M. Div... And, before anyone can scold me, I am being totally serious, and not selling myself short I promise. The reality is I have always had fairly easy classes to bs -- hence why it is 10:30 and I am blogging instead of writing my paper. I can write and do homework for most classes easily, especially if it is even remotely close to my field of interest or career... The few classes I have truly struggled with were math related..... or I did not care two licks about, which coincidentally were the only two religion classes I had in my undergrad. But, in all of my classes I have not once had to do serious research or write extensively about things I do not already know a decent amount about.. which, if I pursued an M. Div. I would have a lot of classes I am not sure I could handle or do well in... Not to mention the time involved would be much more intensive than the classes I have had to take to get my current double masters... And, seeing how much time a few of these classes have required I am not sure how I would swing it!

Basically, I have not come to any final conclusion. I have no doubt that God will make it pretty clear one way or another how it will all work out and what He wants me to do.. Thankfully I am not feeling stressed about it, just mulling the possibilities over in my head...

I have begun to plan out how my dad could get the same degree with me!.. I think that might be the only way I survive and make it through haha... But no, seriously.

1 comment:

Nathan Magnuson said...

Isn't one of your new degrees going to be an MBA? I think if you were going to continue to work in ministry but your role would be more administrative/executive/coordinating/program/project management instead of preaching/teaching, something like an MBA could be more valuable than an MDiv. Churches are notorious for being unorganized in thought and action! I'm sure either way you'll be able to add a lot of value though