Sep 24, 2010

How Great is Our God...

I tend to read every night before I hope for sleep... Last night I read Hebrews 6 due to a surprise conversation with a fairly new friend. I got the chance to hear a small portion of my new friend's story, and he mentioned Hebrews 6, so I thought I would take that night's readings and refresh my memory on what it says. The first half talks about the "Peril of Falling Away" as it is titled in the beginning of the chapter, while the second half focuses on "Better Things for You." The part that stuck out to me the most while reading it last night was a couple verses near the end.

"For men swear by one greater than themselves, and with them an oath given as confirmation is an end of every dispute. In the same way God, desiring even more to show to the heirs of the promise the unchangeableness of His purpose, interposed with an oath, so that by two unchangeable things in which it is impossible for God to lie, we who have taken refuge would have strong encouragement to take hold of the hope set before us." - Hebrews 6:16-18

We (whether believing in God or not) will swear using His name, promise with something seen as "higher" and more credible than ourselves.... Yet God, owning everything, and being subject to no one.... just merely promises, and because of that then folds a double layer of promise into what He says will happen... How crazy to think about.

Then this morning I spent a long time listening to Louie Giglio's various sermons.. He has such a unique way of putting truths.. and his passion just oozes out of him, it's really a neat thing to listen to. The sermons I listened to had to do with how great our God is, and how indescribable He is.... I could not agree more, and this certainly comes at a perfect time when I find myself relying on God more and more as each day goes on... I am so excited about what is next, but I have literally no way of preparing for it, so my only option is to wait on the Lord...

It will be awesome.

No comments: